In 2026, the country will commemorate the 250th anniversary of American independence in 2026. This opportunity comes once every 50 years!
PHILADELPHIA250 (PHL250) is the City’s coordinating entity for the 250th anniversary in 2026. We are dedicated to leveraging this milestone to create the most transformative and inclusive milestone anniversary in American history. Our mission is to lead a grassroots civic celebration that invites all Philadelphians to put forth ideas to help make Philadelphia a more equitable, sustainable and resilient city. The Declaration of Independence, our country’s world-changing founding document is our guidepost and inspiration for upcoming civic programs and activities. In addition to organizing a citywide and year-long series of activities in 2026, PHL250 will create and implement signature programs and work with key partners at the city, state, and national levels on joint initiatives.
Being part of the PHL250 leadership team is a once-in-a-generation opportunity. PHL250 is currently seeking a dynamic Director of Programs to Join Our Team! The team and board leadership at PHL250 subscribes to the following core team values. If these refer to you, please consider applying.
• Passionate about Philly
• Radically welcoming
• A collaborative connector
• Dedicated to workstream of purpose, process and product
• Be Bold
The Director of Programs will be responsible for the development of PHL250’s signature programs and the co-creation of partner programs. Serving in this capacity the Director of Programs will oversee our three signature program platforms: Our Declarations, Our Legacies, and Our Stories, and will manage supporting team members accordingly. The Director of Programs will also be responsible for developing and reporting PHL250’s goals and measurements both internally and externally.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop or approve program budgets.
• Hire and supervise new program managers for projects.
• Report detailed status updates to leadership and executive team.
• Apply change, risk, and resource management principles when needed.
• Work with leadership to set strategic goals and objectives for programs.
• Resolve problems between program teams and other internal stakeholders.
• Coordinate with program managers and other stakeholders to create detailed implementation plans. This includes deadlines, milestones, processes, and risk mitigation protocols.
• Provide processes for monitoring performance and collaborating with program teams to determine ways to improve.
• Working closely with the marketing team suggests and co-creates marketing strategies to increase program awareness of programs.
• Working with the Director of Development identify funding opportunities for programs.
• Evaluate and further develop existing strategic plan program goals to implement them accordingly with staff, consultants, partners, and Board members.
• Develop and seek out new innovative, mission-supportive program ideas and bring creative thought leadership to build out existing program ideas.
• Be able to present and facilitate conversations with internal and external stakeholders to advance concepts and receive feedback about program ideas as needed.
• 5+ years related experience, with progressive responsibility in program project management
• Knowledge of and experience with inclusive American History, democracy, civics, civic education, and/or civic engagement is preferred
• Experience managing budgets for multiple projects
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral
• Strong problem-solving, negotiation, and communication skills
• Excellent data analysis and reporting skills
• Experience with contact management systems preferred
• Grant writing and management skills preferred
• Experience with the integration of social media and technology into programmatic models
• Experience managing small teams through multi-year program implementations
• Knowledge of current program management software and tools methods and best practices
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Job Type: Full-Time
Work Location: Philadelphia, PA
Salary: $70 – $80K
• Flexible work schedules with the option to work remotely
• Health Coverage Stipend
• Covering the cost of professional organization membership dues
• Reimbursement for continuing education
• 403(b) Plan
Interested applicants, please submit your resume to Nneka Brown at email@example.com